Monday, January 3, 2011

Happy Holidays with a New Baby!

Welcome Aurora Sapphire! December 18, 2010

Aurora was born at home in Woodinville, as planned. With impeccable timing, I started contractions on December 17, the evening my parents arrived at the airport. In fact, I was in the middle of one when I spotted my mother near the baggage claim -- that was a weird moment. Valerie of Puget Sound Midwives and Birth Center, the wonderful midwife who also caught Joran, arrived around midnight, and Aurora arrived at 2:50am, after a well-paced labor. No broken toilets this time! We were able share a few good stories and jokes, though!

Jasmijn and my father slept through the entire night, but Joran was so excited that he stayed up to meet his new sister! My mom stayed up with him -- what a sweet time for them. Joran tried to hide his excitement at first, and this made him even sweeter to watch! John was able to support me all through the labor, which was different from Jasmijn's birth -- he was with Joran then and the labor went so quickly that he barely ran upstairs in time for the birth. Interestingly, I didn't want anyone near me during labor with Jasmijn anyways, so that was perfect, too.

Anyways, at around 3:30am, the midwives told me "the boys are crashed out in the livingroom."

My favorite story of the day will probably always be something Joran told me after everyone was awake again. With 2 big thumbs up, he said with the most loving grin, "Good job, Mom!" (Then he added, "And there wasn't even any blood." Well, he doesn't have to know about that.)

Happy!

Aurora has the same frown as Jasmijn... we thought it came from Geneva... I guess it's in the genes.

Acrobatics... and Jasmijn looks on from behind.

Jasmijn pushing Joran on the swing.

Jasmijn likes to point out Aurora's eyes, nose, mouth, fingers and toes.

They are both so excited and sweet with their new sister!


Such tenderness.


Oops! Flipped the photo, but here's Jasmijn helping to change Aurora's diaper (she unsnaps the jumper and hands me wipes).


So wise.


"What is this thing on my head?"


Jasmijn's just tickled pink and asks to hold Aurora several times a day.


I knew I'd get requests for photos of me, so here's the best one I could find.


Joran's ready for the snowball fight!

Grandma builds a snowman with Jasmijn.


Sledding behind our house. I stay inside, but I get lots of laughs from watching my family!

Happy New Year!

Everyone loved Joran's long hair, but he didn't like the tangles, and the brushing was too painful, so I cut it off!

No comments:

Post a Comment