Friday, April 17, 2009

Not from this world


Here is Joran in front of the HR Giger museum in Gruyere. HR Giger won an Academy Award for visual effects in the movie Aliens. Joran loved his work! As soon as he saw the alien sculptures outside, he wanted pictures with everything and then just strutted right on into the museum to see everything else. The museum staff tried to discourage us by saying that the works were too grotesque for a 4-year-old, but Joran would not be deterred.

Inside the museum, I spent a lot of time thinking about the choice to follow Joran's lead rather than letting someone else decide what was appropriate or inappropriate for him. Joran knows himself best, and as his mama, I want to facilitate further self-discovery and discovery of the delightful world around him. I don't want to make choices for him based on my fears or prejudices or anyone elses.

It turned out the art was not scary at all, but fascinating for Joran. I'm sure it's a passion we'll be exploring more of. This was not the first encounter with grotesque art. Joran didn't want to leave during a recent trip to the Phoenix Art Museum, and one of his favorite pieces was covered with a dismembered head, blood and a few monster images (painted, not real).

I've learned so much as Joran's parent. He's an intense little man! He teaches me a lot about personal power, reclaiming it, asserting it. He teaches me about freedom, letting go and maintaining my own well-being regardless of others. Now I have a little girl as well, and so far, I can see that she has other lessons to teach me. While her will is similarly strong, it is more quiet. With her, I am learning more about joy, self-worth, and again about keeping my own happiness independent of others.

So, this blog will be mostly about my parenting journey. I chose the title simply because I love the name Saoirse, which means "freedom." I've combined it with "fearless," because that's how I want to live -- fearlessly, powerfully, with freedom.

Live well!
Jolene

No comments:

Post a Comment